Friday 15 February 2019

Citadel Champion of Khorne with unreleased Chaos Hound



 Over the last few weeks I've been amassing a lot of ideas for chaos projects which is a subject I've been absent from for a fair old while now (apart from a chaos knight early last year) and a resurgence is long overdue.

 So the two remaining samurai for the Nippon warband are going to have to wait for now. I've been planning on a converted Champion of Khorne for some weeks and had spent a lot of time scouring my collection and catalogue pages for a suitable head. After a lot of unsuccessful candidates I finally went closer to home and from one of his own.


 The champion is made up of two figures; the head and sword come from Armed with sword and attributed with horns, whereas the body belongs to the equally elongated titled Sword and bestial face, tail and mane of hair. See below:

Image from Stuff of Legends






 The removal of the head of 'Horns' is a real bastard of an operation and took well over an hour to cut and file down enough for it to sit on the shoulders of the other fig. Thinking about it, cutting off the other head ain't no picnic either. There was then a bit of sculpting to bulk out the great mane of hair.


 The hound itself is something rather special. It's from the unreleased Chaos range, dated on the base 1987. I've had it a fair while now and have been meaning to associate it with the right figure at some point but until now hadn't found the right combination.


 The champion himself is based on the leader of a Khorne warband I rolled up sometime last year but never came to anything as my time was taken up with other painting commitments.


 Something I am particularly happy about is the fact I've managed to a) paint a Jes Goodwin champion and be pleased with the result, which has been a bit of a monkey on my back over the last few years and b) salvage a couple of figures from previous failed attempts. I've cut up a lot of Goodwin champs in my time and many of them have ended up in the bits box.

 I'm already working on the first member of the retinue so expect to see something on that very soon.

30 comments:

  1. Fuck8ng hell, it's a subtle conversion but it works a bloody treat. He is awesome. The face is belting! Another triumph mate. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Colin! I was really stuck for a flesh colour for days and I've never been too keen with my results of pale flesh in the past.

      Delete
  2. Looking uber-cool. Love the colour scheme.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is outstanding work Ned!

    I had to look twice to see what you'd done to the original mini to make it look so unique. And that dog is a bloody amazing sculpt. Are they hard to come by?

    Well done on this project mate, can't wait to see the rest of the warband come together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thanks a lot Shane! Yeah nothing really heavy on the conversion side of it. I love the hound fig. Haven't seen another in the loop before so I'm guessing they don't crop up too often. Next one up is another Jes Ogre.

      Delete
  4. Top converted model Bravo (^_^)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My word what a conversion! Lovely job my man!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice work and something unique in the pooch department. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Seán. Yeah it was great to make use of the mutt at long last.

      Delete
  7. That's incredible! Not only can you not tell that it's a conversion at all, it's a brilliant and imposing model. The hound is utterly perfect as a khornate gift to your deserving champion. Love that ruddy brown armour too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ta very much Jon! I guess when a conversion doesn't look like one, it's gone in the right direction. Yeah I rolled a hunting beast as a reward so it seemed just to use that fig. The armour has a terracotta base, just as all my reds do so they always turn out looking like that.

      Delete
  8. Really impressive. I do love that!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great conversion subtle and brave not to mention the painting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Inchmurrin! It was looking like it wasn't going to happen until I found the right head.

      Delete
  10. WoooW! That's Warhammer I love! Full atmosphere!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The repositionning of classic sculpts like this is often hard work for little visible results but it changes the whole thing.
    You just subtly added a third dimension to the whole thing which makes it brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot man! It's a really unforgiving range to try and convert. Your converted Slaanesh champions are one of the only successful examples I can think of.

      Delete
  12. Whew! Really nice work both on the conversion and the painting!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dude. Great work on the Conversion, but the Flesh Hound was what really caught my eye. I would love more Flesh Hounds along those lines rather than the ones with the stupid frills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks WestRider! Yeah I agree, I prefer this kind of look for a flesh hound. This was one of two unreleased hounds.

      Delete
  15. Love the conversion, I thought it was a stock figure. I really like the idea of basing him with the hound.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers mate! I'd always wanted a master for the hound but just couldn't decide who to have and ideally wanted someone unique.

      Delete