Tuesday 19 March 2019

Khorne Warband Update - Citadel CM1 Chimera



 This week, continuing with the Khorne warband followers, I've been working on my roll from the Other table which I always give myself when rolling up a chaos warband, which gives me the excuse to paint something a potentially out of the ordinary plus adds some uniqueness to the retinue. I was delighted to have rolled a chimera.


 It was never in doubt that I would use the classic Nicky Bibby chimera sculpt which came with numerous head and tail options.


 I've had a couple of these kicking about since my early teens and decided to pool my resources and use all of my favourite heads and tail on the one model. Well, maybe apart from the sabre toothed tiger head but it's a little too close to the lion head so I've excluded it. The joins where the heads meet the body are quite gappy so it required a fair amount of green stuff to pack it out and then sculpted into fur with a cocktail stick.



 I've gone for a fairly muted palette on this one; opting for a more classical look over a khorne red appearance. Unfortunately, as I feared, it's been an absolute bastard to photograph and I'm not particularly happy with the end results there but it'll have to do.


The Khorne warband grows with some more aerial presence 

 So now there's just the six beastmen to go. I've nearly finished two of them so hopefully in a couple of weeks I'll have the lot completed and will be able to present a finished warband.

16 comments:

  1. Stunning effort! Love how you muted the colors down to tie in with the rest of the warband as to not get him too Tzeentchy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers buddy! Wish the photos had come out a little better. Yeah I could have gone all red and black but I wanted it to remain something along the lines of a classic mythical look.

      Delete
  2. Looks great Ned! I like the green across it's back...is it green? Or is that a trick from the camera not colour correcting for the correct light warmth? Either way, it's ace man!

    I'm really keen to see your beastmen now mate :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers matey! The fur is a basecoat of Zamesi Desert and black mix which gives it a bit of a green tinge. I really hated photographing it though. It's not come out as well as I'd liked it to. The beastmen are coming along although they're deceptively detailed and taking a bit of time.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Kym. Yeah it's a beautiful sculpt.

      Delete
  4. That's a cracking unit and that chimera manages to have plenty of colours without being gaudy and with still some realism.
    Can't wait to see how the rest goes !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much JB! I was trying to avoid it looking too dull by using several different muted colours. Yeah I wouldn't fancy a bright garish version. The aim was to try and achieve that classical appearance.

      Delete
  5. This is growing really fantastic dude! I 've got hooked since the converted champion :) (Also seeing a rival Khorne band to crush if I had the chance LOL)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Diego! Glad you like them so far. Haha! Good luck against that chimera! I have to say your warband is among the finest I've seen painted.

      Delete
  6. I couldn't imagine that such colour combination would work so nicely on this one. Wow, you really made it perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Suber! I spent a lot of time looking at it before I started getting any paint on it. I think my game plan was use as many browns as possible and hope they all complimented each other.

      Delete