Thursday 10 January 2019

Citadel Oriental Heroes - Wu Jen and Samurai



 I'm all Empired out! There, I've said it. After over a year of pretty much nothing else, it's hit me that I need a change. Over the Christmas period I managed to do little but stare at various Empire figs with zero enthusiasm. I've therefore decided that 2019 will be more based around a 'I'll paint whatever shit that takes my fancy and less themed' procedure. And that's how it should be anyway, right?

 Something I've been wanting to paint for a long time now are some of the brilliant classic Oriental Heroes. I've finally managed to knock a few out; a Wu Jen and a pair of samurai.


 I won't go into all the history of this range as all you need to know and more is over at The Lead Pile where Colin aka Whiskey Priest posted a marvellous piece last year telling you all about them.

http://theleadpile.blogspot.com/2018/07/far-flung-cathay.html?m=1


 I think what has always put me off painting them is the challenging palette that comes with them. I have always found samurai armour very daunting to paint. Most of the ones I own were bought quite a few ago and have spent too long in a box.

Wu Jen with fan

Samurai with katana and wakizashi

Samurai with yumi


 The Wu Jen figure had been a target of mine for quite a while. I'd seen the odd one for sale on ebay for ridiculous prices (40 quid springs to mind) but finally managed to grab one for about a tenner. Then he too joined the others in a box until now. I can't think of a figure I've enjoyed painting so much in recent years.

 I'm really getting a kick out of painting these fellas so I may run with it for a little while longer.


No comments:

Post a Comment