Friday 18 January 2019

Citadel Samurai on Temple Dog



 I've decided to stick with the Nippon theme after thoroughly enjoying the three Oriental Heroes that I painted the other week. Up next is a Samurai riding Temple Dog.

Samurai armed with Yari, riding Temple Dog 

 This wonderful sculpt was, as far as I know, only available on the GW 1989 Easter sale flyer. The samurai was one of three possible riders, the other two being a hobgoblin and a dark elf.



To quote Warhammer Armies:

Temple Dogs are stone statues found guarding temple entrances in the lands on Nippon and Cathay. They resemble nothing so much as a cross between a giant pekinese and a lion. In times of war, the power of the temple gods is channelled into these statues to animate them. It is a great honour to mount this divine animal, indicating that the rider has found great favour with the gods.

The growing Nippon warband 

 Another figure that has been sat in a box for over 10 years, it's pleasing to finally get it painted up. I was unsure whether to paint the creature entirely as stone but in the end opted for a red skin to avoid it coming across as too drab.
 There doesn't seem to be many other painted examples around. I've seen a couple of the hobgoblin variants that have come out really nice but the samurai rider seems a bit aloof.

 I've plans for a small Nippon warband now I've a few painted so I'll stick with the Oriental Heroes while the enthusiasm is still there.

4 comments:

  1. Lovely models. Lovely painting. As usual. Really like that you went with red hide for the dog instead of just stone. Looks much more aggressive and dynamic. The crest on the samurai's helmet is interesting. He looks like a Slann from a distance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot! Yeah it was down to be painted stone initially but I thought it's quite a large area to be all one colour so went for a more vibrant option. The crest is actually his banner pole but you're right, it does look more Lustrian than Far East.

      Delete
  2. Great to see you tackle this obscure beastie! Seeing yours makes me want one even more, first time I've seen it painted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curis! You'll do a damn fine job of it, I'm sure!

      Delete