Monday 22 April 2019

Citadel Realm of Chaos Knight #3



 So the unit grows with the third instalment for my five planned chaos knights. This one took a little longer than the previous. This particular steed seems to be slightly more time consuming.


 If I'm honest, it's my least favourite steed model of the three. I feel you get less freedom with painting it. I've never really been a fan of some of its detail; the weird head dress thingy or the cloth over the face. Come to think of it, I'm not a great lover of the bone detail either. I just think with the other two steeds, that you have a little more option to paint them just how you want to, if that makes sense.


 But hey, I can't really knock it too much. It's still a quality, imposing model (which is obviously what you want from a chaos steed) plus it keeps the variation going.


 There have been a couple of tweaks on this one; I've used the tail (or two thirds of it) of the original Lord of the Rings Balrog - don't worry folks! It was a spare. Also I've fixed a bow and quiver from the Khorne juggernaut/chaos chariot accessories plus another length of chain for the reins.


 It's really satisfying to being well on the way to a full unit of these guys. I definitely have Nico and Roberth Breseus to thank for all the inspiration with their spectacular takes on this range.

 Hopefully I'll be posting again at the tail end of this week with number four. Thanks for looking!

15 comments:

  1. Another ass-kicking knight, great job. Thats gonna be an almighty unit once it's done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Colin! I never thought I'd ever manage to get hold of five steeds for the unit to be honest, especially after selling a couple years ago.

      Delete
  2. The small conversions you've made to the steed have really made a difference. I like the original, for all the points that you don't :P but this looks even better.

    Great work Ned :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Shane. Horses for courses I guess! Yeah it's nice to be able to customise each one subtly. The tails are a simple alteration but make a real difference.

      Delete
  3. Fantastic conversion and paintwork Ed. I got to disagree with you on the steed tho, that one is my favorite. 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks man! Haha yeah I suppose my comments are open to debate here. I'm probably being a bit harsh on the model really. You did a fine job on him from what I remember.

      Delete
  4. It's cool and impressive; I don't know, I like the steed, I think the whole mini looks totally badass!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suber! I'm painting another one of these steeds at the moment and I'm coming round to him.

      Delete
  5. Stomps off into the corner and sulks as after decades of painting I can't come close to this. Lovely job as always !!! Oh I homaged your Mordheim Magister (12/04/2017) too good not to !! Mordheim and Frostgrave will be mine !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words Phil. Glad you like that magister. Hope yours turned out well!

      Delete
  6. I know you don't like the cloth, but actually like it - I think this is actually my favourite to date. The little accessories sell these guys as marauding, roving warband on the move. I think the alternate tails are a nice touch too. The signature red-brown works a treat! Keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Jon! I'm beginning to warm to this steed actually. I'm working on another at the moment and I'm pleased with the slightly different colours I've used. But that's for the next post! Yeah the little extras bring a bit of further dynamic to them. Just trying to source one or two other little bits for the remaining two.

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete