Friday 6 March 2020

Dixon Miniatures American Civil War - Confederate Cavalry



 I've added to my initial three Confederate cavalrymen (featuring J.E.B Stuart) with another three over the last couple of weeks.


The Dixon civil war cavalry are superb and are in my opinion some of the best in the range.



 Confederate cavalry were considered as superior horsemen to their northern counterparts due to the more rural South where roads were poor and more suited to horses in comparison to the urbanised North where streetcars and carriages were more commonplace.



 Confederate cavalry owned their own horses and were compensated on a monthly basis. If a soldier's horse was lost (killed, sick, injured etc), he was responsible for replacing it at his own expense. The general rule was for the soldier to return with a new horse within sixty days or face the ignominious fate of becoming an infantryman.





 The plan is to paint another six in the near future. I'm currently in the process of knocking out another artillery piece and also a Confederate command base featuring General Longstreet so watch this space.

3 comments:

  1. Dude those look great! The southern cavalier is always a fun mini to paint. You got me looking at Dixon but I dont need another 28mm period. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mec! Yeah I love the flamboyant, almost piratical look of the Confederate cavalry. Haha I know, tempting! I can't believe I've kept going with the whole civil war theme for so long. Normally I chop and change after a while.

      Delete
    2. Keep it up! They look great you will have an army before you know it.

      Delete